There are many benefits to saving on electricity. For one, being energy efficient helps you in saving a ton of money. This is one of the most common motivations as to why most homeowners pledge on following measures to save electricity altogether. The money that you save from reduced energy consumption can be placed towards purchasing important things or into your family’s savings account.
Another great advantage to implementing energy saving measures is that you are proactively helping in preserving the environment. A large portion of the electricity generated to supply energy in our homes come from the burning of fossil fuels namely coal, natural gas, and oil. These resources are typically found deep beneath the earth’s surface requiring companies to mine and drill endlessly. These activities have negative impact on the environment, as evidenced by soil erosion, forest degradation, and flooding among others.
In addition, resources such as fossil fuels are fast depleting due to increased energy demands. Bear in mind that the Earth only has limited supply of these resources, and exhausting them mindlessly will mean that future generations will have to suffer the consequences. By reducing energy consumption, you are effectively minimizing the negative impact of mining and drilling to the environment.
Measures to save electricity also means that you are consciously reducing your carbon footprint. Greenhouse gas emissions have sky-rocketed in the past decade. One of the major contributors to this phenomenon is the excessive burning of fossil fuels as a direct result to increasing energy consumption. Greenhouse gases are the main culprits to the extreme weather changes worldwide. Saving electricity is yet another great way to show your concern for Mother Earth.
Saving electricity also contributes to health and wellness. For instance, reducing the number of hours of television viewing enables families to bond over other fun activities outdoors. Although technological advancements have made our lives more comfortable, it also poses negative effects in terms of interaction and effective communication. Finding other means of entertainment aside from the use of electrical devices and gadgets, facilitates quality time with friends and loved ones.
Now that we have enumerated the many great benefits of saving electricity, we now move on to listing down the tips on how you can lower energy consumption at home, at school, and at the workplace:
Tips on how to make your home warm with less energy
- At dusk, it is ideal to draw the curtains down as this keeps in the day’s heat. Instead of turning on the thermostat, make use of thick and well fitted curtains instead. If you have the financial resources to have double glazed windows installed, you will be able to save tons of money in the long run. However, for those on a budget, window film kits works equally efficient in keeping the heat indoors too.
- Make sure that your door and window frames close tightly as well. If there is leakage of air, cover the spaces with draught stopping tape to insulate your home properly.
- It may be wise to install and apply products that function to fill in the gaps and cracks in your flooring. Rugs and carpets are also great in preventing draughts too.
- Use the timer in your heating system rather than keeping it on throughout the day.
Home improvements and modifications
High levels of moisture and dampness inside the home leads to heating problems. You are more likely to use the thermostat if any part of your home suffers from intense moisture or dampness. By stopping the source of moisture, you are not only reducing energy needs, but preventing the development of mold and mildew growth inside your home.
- Fixing pipes that have leaks and are broken is recommended as a means to stop moisture from entering your home. If you detect moisture or relative dampness under the house, it may be best to place a moisture-resistance cover to protect your home from mold and mildew growth. A simple and inexpensive tarp is more than enough to do the job.
- For indoor activities that introduce moisture within the interiors of the home, it is best to install exhaust fans or vents for effective escape of moisture. Activities like cooking, showering, and washing of clothes and dishes create different levels of moisture, which in turn affect the temperature indoors. Besides installing vents, you may also choose to open windows and doors during or after the above mentioned activities to promote adequate ventilation.
- When air drying clothes and other fabric-covered materials, it is best to do this activity outdoors. Air-drying them indoors also add moisture inside the home, leading to increased heating demands.
- It is practical to also open the windows at least twice a day to facilitate the efficient escape of moisture. Opening doors and windows should not only be performed during hot months, but during colder months too!
- Opt to purchase permanent gas heaters. Although these gas heaters are more expensive that portable ones, they are known to save more money in the long run. In addition, portable gas heaters have been found to produce harmful gases which can be detrimental to health.
Cutting cost of energy bill by using appliances wisely
- Instead of putting your appliances and gadgets on standby mode when not in use, you may want to turn totally turn them off instead. This measure will enable you to reduce your energy bill by 7%.
- It is ideal to change your old refrigerator for a new one. Older models of refrigerators generate more energy. Newer models on the other hand are developed with energy efficiency in mind. In addition, make sure to tightly close the door of the fridge so you can be sure the food inside are properly cooled and that the refrigerator does not have to generate more energy, due to increased cooling needs.
- Of course, you need to turn off the light in unoccupied rooms. In the day time, uses as much natural light as possible by pulling up the windows and letting the sunlight enter your home instead.
These are just some of the more practical means on how you can save energy at home. The company that supplies your household energy can also offer you many other tricks so you can reduce energy requirement at home and increase money saving potential as well.